Leadership Sustainability by Dave Ulrich and Norm Smallwood
Seven Disciplines to Achieve the Changes Great Leaders Know They Must Make
This book will teach you how to:
- Prioritize in order to achieve your organization’s desired results
- Filter the clutter from the important
- Measure what matters for real improvement
- Reward people effectively
- Learn from your successes and your mistakes
Leadership Sustainability highlights seven key disciplines: simplicity, time, accountability, resources, tracking, melioration(state of being improved) and emotion.
While the book has a distinct corporate focus, the principles can easily be adapted to small businesses. Leadership sustainability occurs when leaders accept why they need to improve, recognize what they need to improve, and figure out how to make the improvements stick. Organizations can enhance leadership sustainability by practices designed to build the next generation of leaders into people who will consistently and completely deliver against strategic goals.